"We saved Portland Works!!"
"...one of the biggest community buy-outs in the country should guarantee that the building where stainless steel cutlery was invented can continue to house craftspeople, who plan to teach their inherited skills to young people in Sheffield" - The Guardian, Feb 24th, 2013
Portland Works, built in 1877, is an affordable workspace for small manufacturing businesses as well as independent artists and craftsmen. In 2009, it still housed craftspeople despite its decrepit state but was threatened with conversion into flats. Our campaign saved the Works and succeeded in buying the building to assure its future. Since early 2013, our Society has owned Portland Works and is now renovating the fabric with mainly voluntary efforts.
We are a social enterprise, owned by over 500 community shareholders, members of Portland Works Little Sheffield Ltd established in 2011 to buy, renovate and manage the building. As a social enterprise, any surpluses made from running the Works are reinvested in the building and activities that will bring wider social benefit. We also believe that the Works is more than just a collection of businesses. It represents the kind of space that is disappearing in our cities, but is vital to sustaining creativity and a good quality of working life.
· Conserving and renovating Portland Works.
· Operate the building as a community-owned social enterprise, which lets out workspace at affordable rents.
· Supporting and promoting small-scale manufacturing and creative businesses.
· Developing a community heritage and education resource.
· Ensure existing tenants stay, maintaining and creating jobs.
· Attract more tenants into the renovated areas.
· Support start-up businesses.
· Develop a centre for traditional crafts and offers training in these skills.
· Offer public access to the Works through open days.
· Develop the heritage potential of the site.
Our AGM was Wednesday 24th September. You can download the 2013/4 Annual Report here
Chair for 2014/15 is Derek Morton (returning as Acting Chair for six months), new to the Directors is tenant Carl Whitham, Nuala Price was re-elected and joins existing Directors John Clarke, Steve Connolly, Paul Denial, Mark Jackson, Peter Marsh, Geoff Marston, Stuart Mitchell and Nikky Wilson.
Portland Works Little Sheffield Ltd
A Community Benefit Society registered with the Financial Conduct Authority
Reg no. 31143R