Welcome to Portland Works’ May Open Weekend
Welcome to our second virtual May Open Day which this year runs for the whole weekend from Friday the 21st to Monday the 24th of May. We have gathered lots of exciting events, things for you to see and explore via this special online event. All of us here hope that you enjoy your virtual visit and look forward to welcoming you back to Portland works for real in the near future.
To give you a flavour of some of the things that are happening this weekend
• Launch of our Global Cutlery search
• An update on the building renovations and the dramatic completion of the building’s famous tall chimney.
• Exhibition of previously unseen images of the works – a look back at our last May Open Day 2019
• Link to work produced by University of Sheffield Architecture students based on their studies here at the Works
• Mini lecture series – a selection of short talks about Sheffield history and personalities. Available to view at any time – all free
• News from our tenant artists and their exciting new Art Workshops and how to book
• News about forthcoming events
You can access each of these features below.
A little history
Portland Works is a Grade 2* listed building. It was bought in 2013 through a community financed project after 5 years of campaigning. It is a rare example of a Victorian integrated cutlery factory, and is the place where stainless steel knives were made commercially for the very first time by R F Mosley in 1914. Today it is the home of over 30 businesses housed in the workshops refurbished and restored by a fantastic group of (mainly) volunteers. You can see and hear from volunteers, tenants, supporters and the Friends of Portland Works showing some of their current restoration work. All included in our online event.
As you view the online tour with commentary, photography exhibition and short films you will be encouraged to imagine the people who worked here and learn about the conditions they experienced and how things have changed for factory workers since 1879.